Brighton Tri Club is once again running its annual cycling sportive on Sunday 20th March 2016 following the success of the event in 2015. We're encouraging club members, their family and friends to take part, we have a route that will suite everyone.
We have one objective: get adult and junior club members, families and friends out on their bikes for an informal, fun and scenic ride. The entry fee will be £13 (includes processing fee) for each adult. Juniors (under 18) will be free. Children (7yrs to 16yrs) are only eligible to ride the Fun 34 and will be accompanied by outriders from the club. Parents are very welcome to come along too on the Fun 34, and it will be free for them. Children (16-17yrs) can ride the 60k route but MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Click on button below for Big Ride riders briefing notes
More detail can be found below but in summary, there are 3 routes to choose from, all starting and finishing at Steyning Grammar school
- THE FUN - 34km - ideal for younger families as follows the Downs Link path rather than public roads. The first turn around point is Shoreham before retracing the route to Stan's Bike Shack near Partridge Green (c.24km, were we will also be offering a club taxi free of charge back to Steyning Grammar School), before returning to finish - see further details below.
- THE CHALLENGE - 60km
- THE EPIC - 100km
- Date: 8am, Sunday 20th March 2016
- Start time: First group at 8am, subsequent waves at intervals thereafter. Longer distance groups start first.
- Start location: Shooting field car park, Upper school, Steyning. BN44 3RX. Car parking space, a welcome room with refreshments, toilet and changing facilities.
- If you are coming south, head along Steyning High St. turn right down Church St, 2nd left down Church Lane; head straight onto Shooting Field, then look out for a sign 'Schools' which should direct you left into the Grammar School entrance.
- Go right towards the main car park. Once you leave the car, look for the highest building (looks like a large chimney).
- Registration: 6th Form Common Room - (located under the large chimney).
- Food stations: Stan's Bike Shack (60k & 100k routes) & Warninghurst (100k only). Food stations will have food and water available and Stan's has a toilet. If you plan to stop at Stan's Bike Shack please make sure you have some money available.
THE FUN - 34km/170m - following the Downs Link off road track down to Shoreham before retracing the Downs Link all the way up to Stan's Bike Shack south of Partridge Green for coffee, hot chocolates and cake. Please remember to bring cash to pay for refreshments. Before setting off back along the Downs Link on the home stretch. This route is ideal for younger children and family groups. The surface is suitable for hybrid or mountain bikes and is predominantly flat. Brighton Tri Club will provide a club taxi service included in the price of the entry to take bikes and passengers back to Steyning Grammar School from Stan's Bike Shack if any of the children (or adults) start flaking out.
Estimated time to complete the course including short feed stops: 2-2.5hrs
THE CHALLENGE - 60km/576m - circular route along the beautiful Sussex countryside suitable for those that are comfortable on their bike but want to test themselves or starting to build up their mileage. Half way around you can stop at Stan's Bike Shack for a cake and coffee, plus we have a further pit stop near the finish, Sue Pinnick with her wonderful flapjacks at the Warminghurst feedstation, on the corner of Park Lane and Rectory Lane. Stan's Bike Shack has toilets but don't forget to bring money for this stop.
Estimated time including short feed stops: 3-3.5hrs.
THE EPIC - 100km/1102m - a beautiful circular route out along the shadow of the South Downs before heading north along quiet Sussex roads, ride through stunning country villages, winding back down towards Steyning and finishing off in style with a blast up Bostal Hill for those that have anything left in the tank. This ride is suitable to those that feel really comfortable and confident on their bike, and want to get in some good climbing and mileage. Besides Stan's Bike shack after 35k into the route, Sue Pinnick will have her wonderful flapjacks at the Warminghurst feedstation, on the corner of Park Lane and Rectory Lane.
Estimated time including short feed stops: 5-5.5hrs.