Week 6 of the 2014 intervals.
This session will be held on Hove Lawns, meeting at the Peace Statue (East End of the lawns) as we regularly do in the Summer (which it palpably isn’t at present, but we can pretend).
There will be two sessions on offer:
- a "cruise" interval session on the (flat) lawns, using the familiar out and back approach
- a threshold test set giving you better information on what "threshold running" actually means for you personally.
The benefit of the test set is that when I ask you to work at (for example) "80% of threshold" you have a solid understanding of what your threshold is right now, rather than what it might have been during races last year or from your guesses. It also means that you can repeat this test and another key threshold test in a month or so and see how you might be developing.
The best data is taken from a Heart Rate monitor. If you have one, please wear it. If you don't, we can still work from distance covered & average pace. The test protocol involves you running for 30 minutes. That's it. I'll record distance stats and collect HR data after the event.
One caveat about this evening. It's not going to rain but it will be windy. This won't affect your HR data but may have an effect on pace. It may also feel like a hill rep set at times!
- be at the Peace Statue at the East End of Hove Lawns by 7:25pm latest this evening
- wear your HR monitor & watch if you have it - wear a basic stopwatch if you don’t
- if you don't want to run the test set that's fine - an intervals set is also on offer
- you will be running on the grass for most of the time - the seafront is very pebbly.
- wear appropriate footwear for wet & muddy conditions.