Go Tri Pells Pool is a series of low-cost mass participation Aquathlon (swim followed by a run) events. 2016 is the third year that Brighton Tri Club will be running them. The series is suitable for anyone aged 8yrs +, whether a club member or not, who is up for doing a short swim followed by a short run. The races are professionally managed and your results will be published online below.
The key emphasis on the series is to get involved and have some fun on a Summers evening.
* RESULTS * For the latest results click here * RESULTS*
Sounds pretty good. When is it happening?
The dates and entry for the 2016 GoTri Pells Pool race series are:
- Race 1: 7.00pm, Wed 1st June 2016 (8yrs and above - wetsuits will be compulsory for 8, 9 & 10yrs)
Race 1 results are available here
- Race 2: 7.00pm, Wed 29th June 2016 (8yrs and above - wetsuits will be compulsory for 8, 9 & 10yrs)
Race 2 results are available here
Race 3: 7.00pm, Wed 13th July 2016 (8yrs and above)
Race 3 results are available here
- Race 4: 7.00pm, Wed 3rd August 2016 (8yrs and above)
Race 4 results are available here
- Race 5: 7.00pm, Wed 24th August 2016 (8yrs and above)
Race 5 results are available here
Is it really for me?
The GoTri Pells Pool Series is open to anyone aged 8yrs or over whether a club member or not. These events are a great way to get outdoors, test yourself in safe conditions, have some fun and try something new. However, if you've done triathlons before you'll be at home with us as well as the series is a great way to build a "water brick" into your training schedule and sharpen up your transitions!
The adult event is over a course comprising a swim of 350m and a run of 3km.
Children will race ultra short sprint distances depending on age group.
- RED wave (a) 8yrs - 1 width swim (25yrds/23m) followed by 1 lap run (c.1.3km - please see note below)
- RED wave (b) 9-10yrs - 1 width swim (25yrds/23m) followed by 1 lap run (c.1.3km)
- BLUE wave 11-12yrs - 2 width swim (50yrds/46m) followed by 1 lap run (c.1.3km)
- BLACK wave 13-14yrs - 4 width swim (100yrds/92m) followed by 2 lap run (c.1.9km)
- 15yrs + can race Adult distances detailed above
NOTE TO PARENTS - 8yrs run distance exceeds the Triathlon England limit of 600 meters
Younger children (8yrs to 10yrs) must wear wetsuits for the first 2 races in the Series due to the water temperature expected for the earlier races. This is a mandatory requirement.
Ages are based on the age you will be on the 31st December this year
Wave age categories are for guidance, children can move to longer distance waves if they are confident with them and parents consent.
Please note that by registering your children you are agreeing to the following;
- That your child/children is/are fit to take part in the event
- That your child/children participate entirely at their own risk
- That you relieve the event referee/organisers/personnel of any responsibility for injury sustained to your child/children as a result of participation howsoever caused
- That your child/children agree to abide by the rules of the Event Briefing /British Triathlon Association/GoTri; and
- That you will remain at the event venue during the activity.
Interesting. OK, how much does it cost and how do I join in?
When booking online in advance, each race costs just £7.50 for adults and £2.50 for children. The online entry system will be up and running early in 2016 giving you the option to choose your individual races or buy a full Series package at the reduced price. Online entry will close at 5pm on the date of the race. Cash 'on the door' at each event will be available, adults will cost £10, children £5.
What do I get with my entry?
You get a professionally run race consisting of a swim in a gorgeous open air pool in the country, a run on the beautifully tended grass of the Malling Recreation Ground in Lewes, a really cool laid back summer's evening atmosphere, changing rooms, a cup of tea, a slice of cake and timed results posted online within 24hrs. There's also a pub (the Elephant and Castle) just up the road for a post event drink!
Nice! Where is it, again?
The GoTri Pells Pool series is held at Pells Pool in Lewes, the oldest documented freshwater public pool in the country. Pells celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2011 and continues to welcome thousands in the summer months each year. The Pells Pool is a spring-fed pool - 50 yards long by 25 yards wide. There are facilities for the whole family to enjoy, from a tree-lined green lawn, sun terrace, cafe and exercise lane, to the children's paddling pool, rafts and other recreational equipment.
It's also a great place for an Aquathlon!
Pells Pool, Brook Street, Lewes, BN7 2BA.
Do I need any special kit?
All you need to compete in one of our GoTri events is a swimsuit (no nudity allowed, I'm afraid!) and a pair of running shoes. You may also want to use a wetsuit for the May and June events when the water is cooler and to bring a t-shirt or something else to run in, but do remember that your time for the event is taken from the moment you start swimming to the end of the run - so drying between your toes and donning your slinky run gear will be counted! In all seriousness, though, wear what you are comfortable in - the crowd will cheer you over the line whether you're in Lycra or cotton.
I'm not sure if I'm fit enough..
Can you swim 12 lengths of a 25m swimming pool without stopping? Can you run/jog for 20 minutes? If so you are more than capable of completing one of our GoTri events. It's a challenge, of course - that's why it's worth signing up! Although our swim course is a continuous loop, more akin to Open Water swimming than pool laps, you will be in the safe, controlled environment of Pells Pool - never far from the side or the ability to stand in the water.
Do note, however, that if you have pre-existing medical conditions and you're not sure about how you will cope with the event, please do get an opinion from your doctor. Safety first!
Brighton Tri Club regrets that due to the nominal fee involved and the set up costs surrounding the event, no refunds or deferrals are available.
Brighton Tri Club reserves the right to change/ substitute/ shorten the course at the event if there is bad weather. This is to ensure that the event runs safely. We regret that no refunds will be possible in such circumstances.
If, for any reason, Brighton Tri Club cancels an event, an alternative date will be put forward and competitors notified. Competitors can then choose to enter the rescheduled event, or another remaining event in the Go Tri Pells Pool Aquathlon Series. We regret that due to the nominal entry fees involved and the set up costs surrounding the event, no refunds are available.
Brighton Tri Club regrets that due to the nominal fee involved and the administration required to process substitutions, no substitutions are permitted.
- Adult Male: Tom Garner 17:57 (17 June 2015)
- Adult Female: Bethan Male 19:50 (1 June 2016)
- Adult team Female: Shona Honey/Jane Hancock 25:34 (29 July 2015)
- Adult team Mixed: Adam Clayton/Sarah Clayton 19:09 (3 Aug 2016)
- Junior Black wave Female: Naomi Fonteyn 07:11 (13 July 2016)
- Junior Blue wave Male: Jonny Hancock 06:09 (13 July 2016)
- Junior Blue wave Female: Allanah Clayton 07:11 (13 July 2016)
- Junior Red wave Male: Jude Clayton 06:30 (13 July 2016)