Brighton Tri Club presents "Palace to Paddle 2.5km Swim" at
Paddle Round the Pier Festival 2017
Celebrating over 20 years of Paddle Round the Pier!
SATURDAY 1st JULY, 8.30am
Important note; if weather/sea conditions make it unsuitable to hold the event on Saturday 1st July, we will make every effort to reschedule to Sunday 2nd July, 8.30am .
Brighton Tri Club are delighted to present the 2017 "Palace to Paddle Swim" as part of the wonderful Paddle Round the Pier Festival. This iconic 2.5k event gives entrants the opportunity to swim past both the Brighton Palace Pier, West Pier and the i360, parallel to Hove Lawns all the while getting a swimmers’ eye view of Brighton’s classic seafront. The swim will start at 8.30am, from the beach 50 meters to the east of the Palace Pier and finish on the beach in front of Paddle Village on Hove Lawns, Kingsway, Hove, BN3 2FR.
There will be both wetsuit and non-wetsuit categories (decide on the day!) for both males and females.
The categories are:
- Open Adult - You must be 16 years or older on the day of the event.
- Novice Adult - You must be 16 years or older on the day of the event and never have completed a 2.5km Open Water swim before; and
- Junior - You must be aged 14yrs or over (but under 16yrs) on the day of the event. Wetsuits must be worn for this category.
- £25 Early Bird Special (until midnight on Sunday 26th March)
- £30 Standard Entry Fee (until midnight on Thursday 22th June)
- £40 Late Entry Fee (up to, and including, on the day if places still available)
Joining instructions will be sent out to swimmers prior to the event
- Registration and swim start location is on the beach in front of Dalton Bastion/the Harvester on Madeira Drive (i.e. the old Brighton Wheel site) which is approximately 50m to the east of Brighton Pier, BN2 2AY
- Registration will open at 7am and close promptly at 8am so please allow plenty of time to check-in.
- All swimmers will need to present themselves to registration before their swim to confirm attendance and to complete essential course and safety briefings.
- The briefing for this event will be 15 minutes before the swim start on Saturday 1st July. Please be ready to swim at this time, wetsuits on (if you're using one), all equipment stowed and ready to get in the water.
- There will be a cut-off time of 2 hours to complete the swim. If you do not reach the finish line in this time you will be picked up by a support boat.
- Should the sea temperature be deemed unsuitably cold, we will require all competitors to wear a wetsuit.
- There will be a van-based mobile bag drop facility by the start point. This will then be transferred up to the prom area near the exit point from the beach at the finish gantry. Please look for the Brighton Tri Club feather flags. Valuables will be left at your own risk and Brighton Tri Club cannot accept any liability for lost or damaged items.
- We recommend a pair of flip flops to wear onto the beach. These will be bundled up and returned to Paddle Village for you to pick up at the end of your swim.
- Whilst this event is open to everyone and full safety cover is provided by the Brighton Surf Life Saving Club (BSLSC) - who better! We do expect you to be a reasonably confident swimmer and preferably have at least some exposure to sea swimming before you take on this swim.
For further information on the whole Paddle Festival, please look at the Paddle Round the Pier main website.
Why not consider sponsorship for your 2.5km swim and raise money for the Paddle Round the Pier charities?
Every £5 raised and handed in at the main Paddle Event Reception in Paddle Village by the cut-off will be rewarded with a raffle ticket; there are loads of cool prizes to be won. For more information see here.
The water temperature in the sea at Brighton in July can range between 14-16°C which will add to the challenge of this event.
As for the air temperature for this time of year you can expect 18-22°C.
If you fancy a shorter swim, there is also a "Swim Around the Pier" swim later at Paddle Festival which is run by our friends at SwimTrek. This fun sea swim is approximately 1.5k and goes around the West Pier back to Paddle Village
More details available via the Paddle Round the Pier main website.
After your swim, why don’t you plan to stay on and enjoy the unique atmosphere at Paddle weekend festival – repeatedly voted one of the best days out in the UK and voted “Best Festival” at the 2014 Brighton and Hove Business Awards in spite of exceptionally stiff competition. Paddle features the very best in water, street and urban sports, live music, kids entertainment, ‘have a go’ opportunities, world food courts and much more! There is also a whole Paddle Village of exhibitions, water sports and beach lifestyle brands for you to explore après swim.
Brighton Tri Club reserves the right to change/substitute/shorten the course at the event if there is bad weather. This is to ensure that the event runs safely. In the case of both the Saturday event and the back up event scheduled for the Sunday being cancelled, Brighton Tri Club will provide an automatic 50% refund of entry fees. Refunds are not possible in other circumstances.
Substitutions can be made via the entry system up to 9pm on Friday 30th June. There is an additional £10 processing fee for each substitution. Substitutions on the day are strictly prohibited for safety reasons.
Terms & Conditions
By entering this event you explicitly agree that you understand that whilst the event will provide safety cover and support, Brighton Tri Club and Paddle Round the Pier do not take responsibility for your safety and well-being in the water; you hold that responsibility at all times. Please do not swim if you are feeling unwell or under-par on the day of the event.
Results from the 2016 Paddle 2.5k swim can be found here