Brighton Tri Club is proud to present, in association with
Paddle Round the Pier, the inaugural
PADDLE JUNIOR OPEN WATER SEA SWIM
Celebrating over 20 years of Paddle Round the Pier!
SUNDAY 2nd JULY, 10am
Important note - If our headline swims scheduled for Saturday 1 July are delayed due to poor conditions, they will take place on Sunday morning and therefore the juniors swim will be rescheduled to 3.30pm on Sunday 2 July.
Entry is now open!
Brighton Tri Club is proud to present the very first "Paddle Junior Open Water Sea Swim" as part of the iconic Paddle Round the Pier Festival 2017. This is a unique opportunity for Junior swimmers aged 8yrs - 16yrs to participate in a brand new festival event, lifeguard supported by SLSGB. The course will be a circuit of buoys in 2 waves, 'Advanced' and 'Intermediate'.
We strongly suggest wet suits be worn, unless you are a very experienced swimmer already. All swimmers will receive a finishers medal.
Categories and distances:
- Advanced - 400 meters.
- Intermediate - 100 meters
- £12.50 (until midnight on Sunday 18th June)
- £20 Late Entry Fee (up to, and including, on the day if places still available)
Joining instructions will be sent out to swimmers prior to the event
- On-day check-in will take place on the beach by the Brighton Tri Club Feather Flags on the beach in the middle of Paddle Village near the red Start/Finish gantry
- Swim start location is on the beach in front of the Festival by the swim gantry/Brighton Tri Club feather flags
- Registration will open at 8.30am and close promptly at 9:15am so please allow plenty of time to check-in.
- All swimmers will need to present themselves to registration before their swim to confirm attendance and to complete essential course and safety briefings.
- The briefing for this event will be 15 minutes before the swim start on Sunday 2nd July. Please be ready to swim at this time, wetsuits on (if you're using one), all equipment stowed and ready to get in the water.
- The 'Advanced Swimmers' wave will start first at approximately 10:00am (when the lifeguard gives the all-clear).
- The 'Intermediate Swimmers' wave will start second shortly thereafter.
- There will be a cut-off time of 40 minutes to complete the swim. If you do not reach the finish line in this time you will be picked up by a support boat.
- Should the sea temperature be deemed unsuitably cold, we will require all competitors to wear a wetsuit.
- There will be a bag drop facility you will be directed to at registration. Valuables will be left at your own risk and Brighton Tri Club cannot accept any liability for lost or damaged items.
- We recommend a pair of flip flops to wear onto the beach. You will finish at the clearly visible 'Swim Finish' feather flags.
- Whilst this event is open to everyone and full safety cover is provided by the Brighton Surf Life Saving Club (BSLSC) - who better! We do expect you to be a reasonably confident swimmer and preferably have at least some exposure to sea swimming before you take on this swim.
For further information on the whole Paddle Festival, please look at the Paddle Round the Pier main website.
Why not consider sponsorship for your Junior swim and raise money for the Paddle Round the Pier charities?
Every £5 raised and handed in at the main Paddle Event Reception in Paddle Village by the cut-off will be rewarded with a raffle ticket; there are loads of cool prizes to be won. For more information see here.
The water temperature in the sea at Brighton in July can range between 14-16°C which will add to the challenge of this event.
As for the air temperature for this time of year you can expect 18-22°C.
After your swim, why don’t you plan to stay on and enjoy the unique atmosphere at Paddle weekend festival – repeatedly voted one of the best days out in the UK and voted “Best Festival” at the 2014 Brighton and Hove Business Awards in spite of exceptionally stiff competition. Paddle features the very best in water, street and urban sports, live music, kids entertainment, ‘have a go’ opportunities, world food courts and much more! There is also a whole Paddle Village of exhibitions, water sports and beach lifestyle brands for you to explore après swim.
Brighton Tri Club reserves the right to change/substitute/shorten the course at the event if there is bad weather. This is to ensure that the event runs safely. If the swim is cancelled, Brighton Tri Club will provide an automatic 50% refund of entry fees. Refunds are not possible in other circumstances.
Substitutions can be made via the entry system up to 9pm on Friday 30th June. There is an additional £10 processing fee for each substitution. Substitutions on the day are strictly prohibited for safety reasons.
Terms & Conditions
By entering this event you explicitly agree that you understand that whilst the event will provide safety cover and support, Brighton Tri Club and Paddle Round the Pier do not take responsibility for your safety and well-being in the water; you hold that responsibility at all times. Please do not swim if you are feeling unwell or under-par on the day of the event.