SLSGB 2.5km National Championship Race
SATURDAY 4TH JULY, 9.00AM
Brighton Tri Club are pleased to present the Surf Life Saving Club of Great Britain (SLSGB) 2.5km Open Water Swim and National Championship Race, an iconic event with the opportunity to swim around the West Pier and parallel to Hove Lawns whilst getting a swimmers’ eye view of Brighton’s classic seafront architecture. The swim will start and finish on the beach in front of Paddle Village on Hove Lawns, Kingsway, Hove, BN3.
There will be both wetsuit and non-wetsuit categories (decide on the day!) for both males and females.
The categories are:
- Open Adult - You must be 16 years or older on the day of the event.
- Novice Adult - You must be 16 years or older on the day of the event and never have completed a 2.5km Open Water swim before; and
- Junior - You must be between the ages of 14 and 15 on the day of the event. Wetsuits must be worn for this category.
Online race entry is £30 (or £40 on the day if places are still available). The numbers that can enter the race safely are limited so don't hold back.
SLSGB Members are eligible to receive a £5 refund at Event Registration on the day, upon producing a valid SLSGB membership card. Without a valid SLSGB membership card, no refunds can be made.
Joining instructions will be sent out to swimmers prior to the event to confirm where the on-day compulsory registration will take place, but in the meantime please note the following:
- All swimmers will need to present themselves to registration before their swim to confirm attendance and to complete essential course and safety briefings.
- The briefing for this event will be at 08:45 on Saturday 4th July. Please be ready to swim at this time, wetsuits on (if you're using one), all equipment stowed and ready to get in the water for a 09:00 start!
- There will be a cut-off time of 2hrs to complete the race. If you do not reach the finish line in this time you will be picked up by a support boat.
- Should the weather be inclement and we are unable to swim we have a backup option of moving the event to Sunday 5th July. We won't do this unless it's for your safety and enjoyment.
- Should the sea temperature be deemed unsuitably cold, we will require all competitors to wear a wetsuit.
- There will be a bag drop facility available. Valuables will be left at your own risk and Brighton Tri Club cannot accept any liability for lost or damaged items.
- We recommend bringing a pair of flip flops that can be left on the shingle beach during your swim.
- Whilst this event is open to everyone and full safety cover is provided by the SLSGB themselves (who better!) we do expect you to be a reasonably confident swimmer and preferably have at least some exposure to sea swimming before you take on this race.
For further information on the whole Paddle Festival, please look at the Paddle Round the Pier main website.
There will be a trophy awarded to the overall male and female winners, who will be the Surf Life Saving Club of Great Britain National Champions 2015.
In addition there will be prizes (1st, 2nd & 3rd) in each of the categories above for the following entries:
- Male with wetsuit
- Female with wetsuit
- Male non-wetsuit (excld. the Junior category)
- Female non-wetsuit (excld. the Junior category)
Why not consider sponsorship for your 2.5km swim and raise money for the Paddle Round the Pier charities?
Every £5 raised and handed in at Event Registration by the cut-off will be rewarded with a raffle ticket; there are loads of cool prizes to be won. For more information see here.
The water temperature in the sea at Brighton in July can range between 14-16°C which will add to the challenge of this event.
As for the air temperature for this time of year you can expect 18-22°C.
If you fancy a shorter swim, there is also a 1.25k fun sea swim at 2pm on Saturday 4th July run by our friends at SwimTrek. Click here for details.
After your swim, why don’t you plan to stay on and enjoy the unique atmosphere at Paddle weekend festival – repeatedly voted one of the best days out in the UK and voted “Best Festival” at the 2014 Brighton and Hove Business Awards in spite of exceptionally stiff competition. Paddle features the very best in water, street and urban sports, live music, kids entertainment, ‘have a go’ opportunities, world food courts and much more! There is also a whole Paddle Village of exhibitions, water sports and beach lifestyle brands for you to explore après swim.
In the case of both the Saturday event and the back up event scheduled for the Sunday being cancelled, Brighton Tri Club will provide an automatic 50% refund of entry fees excluding the processing fee.
Brighton Tri Club reserves the right to change/ substitute/ shorten the course at the event if there is bad weather. This is to ensure that the event runs safely. We regret that no refunds will be possible in such circumstances.
Substitutions can only be made up to 7 days before the event. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for a substitution. All substitutions will incur an additional processing fee.
Terms & Conditions
By entering this race you explicitly agree that you understand that whilst the event will provide safety cover and support, Brighton Tri Club, the SLSGB and Paddle Round the Pier do not take responsibility for your safety and well-being in the water; you hold that responsibility at all times. Please do not swim if you are feeling unwell or under-par on the day of the event.